Big Al’s Rib Rub
8 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne (add more for extra heat)
6 tbsp black pepper
6 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp onion powder
5 tbsp salt
3 tbsp oregano
3 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp cumin
- Trim excess fat/meat off ribs
- Peel membrane from back of ribs.
- Rub the rib rub on both sides of the ribs
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. If cooking in a smoker leave the rib racks whole, if cooking in the oven then cut the rack in half. You can either place the ribs in large plastic bags or leave whole in a large aluminum pan.
Cooking in oven
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Place ribs in a covered roasting pan.
- Cook for 3 hours.
- Finish off ribs on the grill and baste with BBQ sauce
- Get your smoker to 200-225 degrees
- Depending on your smoker, use either lump charcoal and hickory chunks for smoke. I use oak logs and add hickory chunks. You can also use apple or cherry wood for a more subtle smoke.
- Mop the ribs frequently after the first 2 hours to avoid drying out your ribs.
- Ribs are done when you hear a snap sound on bending the rack of ribs.
- Baste with BBQ sauce if you prefer.
Related: Smokin’ Good